Compassionate Psychiatric Services offers one of the best objective tests for ADHD. Since ADHD diagnosis involves the use of a special class of medications called Psychostimulants, we take extra care to get an objective test to confirm the diagnosis.
The T.O.V.A.® provides healthcare professionals with objective measurements of attention and inhibitory control and aids in the assessment and evaluation of treatment for attention deficits, including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The T.O.V.A.® is a culture and language-free, computerized test that requires no left/right discrimination or sequencing. Responses to visual or auditory stimuli are recorded with a unique, highly accurate microswitch. The T.O.V.A. calculates response time variability, the response time (speed), commissions (impulsivity), and omissions (focus and vigilance). These calculations are then compared to a large normal sample based on age and gender, as well as to a sample population of individuals independently diagnosed with ADHD- creating an immediate and easy-to-read report.
Why is the T.O.V.A.® such a needed and effective tool?
- Psychostimulants used to medically treat ADHD, have many benefits and risks, making it important to accurately diagnose ADHD before its use. The T.O.V.A.® is an aid in the assessment of attention deficits, including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), in children and adults.
- The T.O.V.A.® is a widely used objective measurement tool of attention in the world and is considered the “Gold Standard” among measures of its type. T.O.V.A. is an objective, accurate, and FDA-cleared continuous performance test (CPT) that measures the key components of attention and inhibitory control.
- T.O.V.A.® aids in the assessment of and evaluation of the treatment of attention deficits, including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
What can you expect from the TOVA test?
- TOVA test is not covered by most health insurance. We charge a flat fee for its administration.
- The TOVA test is a 21.6-minute test that looks a lot like a video game. Patients will respond to stimuli using a button. TOVA comprises auditory and visual components. Each component is administered individually.
- The T.O.V.A. has been shown to accurately identify 87% of individuals without ADHD, 84% of non-hyperactive ADHD, and 90% of the hyperactive ADHD, but should never be used solely as a diagnostic tool for those testing for attention deficit disorders or with a traumatic brain injury.
If you feel you or a loved one may benefit from an objective test for symptoms of ADHD, please call Compassionate Psychiatric Services to learn more about scheduling an assessment. Our staff is specialized and trained to assess, diagnose, and treat symptoms of ADHD.