If you’ve been diagnosed with Depression but your symptoms aren’t improving, you may have Treatment-Resistant Depression (TRD). Though therapy and antidepressants work for the majority of people, TRD does not improve with standard treatments. How do you know if you suffer from TRD?
Below are common symptoms that you may be experiencing.
- A relentless feeling of sadness
- Consistent sleep disturbance
- Lack of energy
- Loss of motivation
- Persistent thoughts of death or suicide
- Unexplained loss of appetite
- Severe mood swings
- Longer depressive episodes
- High anxiety
- Inability to concentrate and focus
- Feelings of hopelessness
TRD is a descriptive category and not a diagnosis. There can be many causes of TRD and can range from high-stress levels to specific physical health conditions.
Common causes of TRD might be:
- Genetics – although the exact genetic biomarkers are not clear
- Metabolic abnormalities – one study noted deficiencies in vitamin B9(folate)
- Physical health conditions like thyroid disorders, chronic pain, or heart disease
- Incorrect or co-occurring diagnosis’
If these TRD symptoms feel familiar, SPRAVATO® might be an alternative treatment, that is used in conjunction with standard treatment, can prove successful for treating TRD. What is SPRAVATO™? It’s a nasal spray that targets the N-methyl-D (NMDA) receptor and is believed to work differently to treat depression than other oral antidepressants. If you or a family member suffer from Treatment-Resistant Depression (TRD) and you are looking for an alternative or addition to your current treatment plan, consider SPRAVATO™ through Compassionate Psychiatric Services (CPS).
Call today to find out how this innovative therapy might be right for you.